Latest First-Gen Updates
- Check out our First-Gen Guidebook
Maximize your success at SDSU by connecting to resources early!
- Student Awardees & Honorable Mentions - National Scholarships
See some of SDSU’s First-Gen Student achievements
- Graduate School Bound?
Visit Pre-Graduate School resources
- First-Gen Transfer Students
Connect with other transfer students via TSOA!
- First-Gen Weber Honors College Students
Learn more about the benefits and how to join
- 5 Things All First-Gen College Students Should Know
Being the first in your family to pursue higher education can be daunting. Read about some encouraging advice!
- National First-Gen Resources
Read some helpful tips on how to navigate your academic journey
First-Generation Student Success
FIRST-GENERATION COLLEGE STUDENTS AT SDSU
The Division of Academic Engagement & Student Achievement at San Diego State University welcomes you to our community!
At SDSU, you are a First-generation/first-gen college student if you are the first person in your family to attend college. We recognize that there are many definitions of first-generation college students such as being the first in your family to graduate from a 4-year institution in the U.S. We welcome all first-generation college students! According to the Cal State University 2019 Fact Book, one-third of undergraduates are the first in their families to attend college.
We recognize that first-generation students bring a multitude of strengths to our organization and university such as:
We understand that being the first in your family to attend college or graduate school may come with unique challenges. To help students in their transition, we are committed to providing SDSU first-gen students a connection to:
- Community: Meet peers that share the same goals, have similar experiences, and are also breaking academic and social boundaries.
- Campus Resources via:
- Faculty mentorship and support programs
- Faculty/Staff guest speakers
- Research & Service-Learning opportunities
- Other campus engagement opportunities
Congratulations fall 2019 first-gen students and welcome to SDSU! We look forward
to meeting you at our August/September community meetings!
Michelle Lopez, Assistant Dean, Academic Engagement & Student Achievement
Dr. Martha Enciso, Associate Director, Weber Honors College
Lorise “Rise” Diamond, Development & Engagement Coordinator