Latest First-Gen Updates
- Check out our First-Gen Guidebook
Maximize your success at SDSU by connecting to resources early!
- Student Awardees & Honorable Mentions - National Scholarships
See some of SDSU’s 1st Gen Student achievements
- Recent 2018 First-Gen Graduate
Learn more about Charmagne Jones' experience
- Graduate School Bound?
Visit Pre-Graduate School resources
- 1st-Gen Transfer Students
Connect with other transfer students via TSOA!
- 1st-Gen Weber Honors College Students
Learn more about the benefits and how to join
- 5 Things All First-Gen College Students Should Know
Being the first in your family to pursue higher education can be daunting. Read about some encouraging advice!
First-Generation Student Success
FIRST-GENERATION COLLEGE STUDENTS AT SDSU
The Division of Academic Engagement & Student Achievement (DAESA) at San Diego State University (SDSU) welcomes you to our community!
At SDSU, you are a First-generation/first-gen college student if you are the first person in your family to complete a four-year college degree. According to the Cal State University 2018 Fact Book, one-third of undergraduates are the first in their families to attend college.
We recognize that first-generation students bring a multitude of strengths to our organization and university such as:
We understand that being the first in your family to attend college or graduate school may come with unique challenges. To help students aid in their transition, we are committed to providing SDSU first-gen students a connection to:
- Community: Meet peers that share the same goals, have similar experiences, and are also breaking academic and social boundaries.
- Campus Resources via:
- Faculty mentorship and support programs
- Faculty/Staff guest speakers
- Research & Service-Learning opportunities
- Other campus engagement opportunities
2018 - 2019 Academic Year
Please check back for our fall First-Gen Student Workshop Series
- Identifying mentors
- Summer research opportunities
- Scholarships & Fellowships - 1st to Apply
- Goal development and alignment with future careers or advanced degree pathways
2017 - 2018 Highlights:
- 1st SDSU Coro Fellowship Winner! Congratulations to Brittany Jones on being our first SDSU Coro Fellowship recipient!
- 1st to Apply! Numerous first-generation college students applied for national scholarship & fellowship opportunities. Congratulations to all applicants, honorable mentions and/or awardees!
- Special thanks to our Gates to Success Student Organization for serving during the 2017-2018 Academic Year
- Kudos to SDSU Faculty for their inspiring seminars!
- Dr. Lisa Gates,
- Dr. Emilio Ulloa,
- Dr. Marissa Vasquez,
- Dr. Luke Wood
- Gates to Success - 1st-Gen E-Newsletter, promoting high-impact engagement opportunities to our First-Generation College student community
- Scholar Development Opportunities
- Winning Scholarships through SDSU
- Introduction to Scholarships and Fellowships
- Pre-Graduate School Mentoring
Congratulations to all incoming Fall 2018 First-Generation College students and welcome to SDSU!
Michelle Lopez, Assistant Dean
Division of Academic Engagement &